Community Strong Read-a-Thon fundraiser.
Now running till June 12th 2020
TLG is Waterloo Region’s only provider of free one to one tutoring and small group training that support its lowest skilled community members.
Our learners are working hard to make a difference in their own lives and improving the lives of those they support. Stand beside our learners during this time where we all face similar hardship, read alongside them and show them you care.
Your support has a direct impact on our Waterloo Region
- 1 in 4 of adults live with the lowest levels of literacy. That means they cannot read to their children, help with homework, or easily manage many everyday tasks such as reading directions on a medicine bottle.
- An adult living with low literacy is 2.5 times more likely to live in poor health.
- An adult with low literacy is 2.5 times more likely to be living in poverty.
How can you help?
Set yourself a reading challenge and get your friends and family to sponsor you – either a lump sum or a donation per book you read. Or read about how some of our learners and staff are raising funds and sponsor them.
Follow TLG on social media and post your updates using #IReadforTLG
Creative Tips for Tips for Collecting Pledges
Make your request for pledges stand out by being creative! Pledge to read while doing these lock down pastimes:
- Soaking in a kid’s wading pool
- Sitting in a tree-house
- Swinging on a jungle gym
- Waiting in line for the grocery store
- Sitting on your shed
- In the rain
- Reading to a neighbour (maintaining social distancing)
- Reading over video conferencing to a loved one so they can hear your voice
- Play Read-a-Thon Bingo to keep yourself motivated – here is a template
Don’t forget to post your picture and have fun!